Blue Ridge Shape Note Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memorial Lessons at Christian Harmony Singings

5 posters

Go down

Memorial Lessons at Christian Harmony Singings  Empty Memorial Lessons at Christian Harmony Singings

Post by June Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 pm

I've often heard Scott refer to a memory from an older singing as a Memorial Lesson. This may be a lesson on how a certain singer sang the tune, a favorite selection of a singer or even a tradition at an older singing. Do other genres of shaped note singings have Memorial Lessons or is it a term that was coined in this area of Blue Ridge Christian Harmony
singings? I think we need more of these lessons at our singings.

June

Back to top Go down

Memorial Lessons at Christian Harmony Singings  Empty Re: Memorial Lessons at Christian Harmony Singings

Post by Scott Swanton Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:19 pm

We lead memorial lessons in Honor those gone on before , with stories and fond recollections . and maybe admonition about how to sing it to honor the deceased . We share the Memorial lesson with many other traditions . it provides continuity.
Scott Swanton
Scott Swanton

Back to top Go down

Memorial Lessons at Christian Harmony Singings  Empty Re: Memorial Lessons at Christian Harmony Singings

Post by Liz Shaw Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:53 pm

I LOVE that idea! Never heard of it.

Liz Shaw

Back to top Go down

Memorial Lessons at Christian Harmony Singings  Empty I am the new kid, but

Post by D Wiley Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:24 am

I have never seen a Memorial Lesson. When did it cease? Any idea why?
D Wiley
D Wiley

http://www.blueridgechristianharmony.jimdo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott Swanton Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 am

Liz, The formal name {Memorial Lesson} is kinda new , the old folks would just say "I want to lead this in memory of uncle so and so, or my momma, or some such . Having it planed and programed into a singing, came with setting in a square. I think Willie started calling it that for us . been a long time since one has been led !. SHAME?The new folks dont want us to talk between songs(sigh). they see the Memorial Lesson as chit chat(UHGG).
Scott Swanton
Scott Swanton

Back to top Go down

Post by D Wiley Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 am

=The new folks dont want us to talk between songs(sigh). they see the Memorial Lesson as chit chat(UHGG).

There's an observation that could lead to more discussion. There's a couple of reasons I dont care for extended talking between songs.

1. Singing in a big class is scarce for me. I want all I can get when I am in one
2 If a conversation starts and folks can't hear, well, they'll start one with their neighbor, and on we go. Pretty soon, it's a talking and visiting - not a singing

Suggestion: Extend the hours - start earlier and /or end later. I don't believe many, if any of us, are constrained by the need to be home to milk. I might be a little less impatient with those who wanted to talk if there was more time in the day to sing.

Scott, I think it's off base to say that some think a Memorial Lesson is chit chat, since we really have not done that in a formal way. I guess it's a matter of defining your terms and what one wants. The SH tradition, I think, at least at some singings, has defined protocol for it.
D Wiley
D Wiley

http://www.blueridgechristianharmony.jimdo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Shaw Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:49 pm

This is why I would love to see an annual event sponsored by BRCHS that has a morning session of "lectures" for lack of a better word, discussion groups, listening opportunities to archival recordings, viewing of old film/video, (I have a lot of silent home movies, by the way, of old singers from the 50s) a speaker who knows about our style, and a Rudiments of music session using William's techniques, next lunch and then bust a gut singing all afternoon. ;-) In fact I think it could develop into be a whole weekend maybe.

Having taught and participated in many such events celebrating/promoting old time string band music such as the Augusta Heritage events in WV and many others around the country, it just seems to me that in order to "cram" everything in that is necessary to pump some life into this effort to rescue this style we are going to need to do something like this. It would grow bigger and bigger each year, I'm sure.

I've heard about the Camp Do Re Mi and that is a WONDERFUL thing, but I'm thinking an event much more specific to preserving THIS style. It wouldn't be as hard as you might think to do this. Our early stages of organizing the society will set the foundations for this sort of thing and many other great events that will bring our mission into fruitfulness.

Liz Shaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott Swanton Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:23 pm

yes ! a time to talk and teach a lesson really rather than just a song . That's a good Idea ! maybe just an hour, I find the mind can only absorb as long as the fanny can endure ! LOL . and switch it up with Q&As as well as "lecture" would love to see Liz's movies !

Scott Swanton
Scott Swanton

Back to top Go down

Post by MB Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:58 pm

The only Memorial Lessons I'm familiar with at a Singing are those of the Sacred Harp - where there is a list of those departed and it is read aloud and a song is led in their memory. I recall such a thing happening at Furman (I think) some years ago.

I have often led Watchman for Larry's mom. I miss her.
MB
MB

http://www.christianharmony.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down