Blue Ridge Shape Note Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing the first annual Quay Smathers Memorial Singing School, April 9, 2016

2 posters

Go down

Introducing the first annual Quay Smathers Memorial Singing School, April 9, 2016 Empty Introducing the first annual Quay Smathers Memorial Singing School, April 9, 2016

Post by Liz Shaw Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:43 am

I  want to invite folks to visit qssingingschool.org to learn more about the first annual Quay Smathers Memorial Singing School scheduled for April 9, 2016. You can read all the details there - including date, time, location and staff for this year's school. We also have a Facebook page (Quay Smathers Memorial Singing School) and are on Instagram and soon will be on Twitter.

We are so fortunate to be in the historic Shook-Smathers House in Clyde, NC, where shaped-notes were sung generations ago by my ancestors - in fact my ggg-grandmother lived in the home with her son Levi until her death in 1868.

But I digress! Most importantly the event is free and will focus on training new singers in the Blue Ridge style of shaped-note singing! But you MUST register as seating will be limited - you can easily do that from the website in one painless click.  Wink

We are proud to have Don Wiley on this year's staff and to have the Blue Ridge Shape Note Forum as one of our supporters!

More details to follow!

Liz Shaw

Back to top Go down

Introducing the first annual Quay Smathers Memorial Singing School, April 9, 2016 Empty Re: Introducing the first annual Quay Smathers Memorial Singing School, April 9, 2016

Post by D Wiley Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:40 am

Some time ago, we obtained recordings of singing school that Quay led at Warren Wilson. These are uploaded here. (Click the link.)

Seems that one must be logged in for the link to work. For copy and paste - http://www.oldfieldssingers.com/quay-smathers-memorial-singing-school/

There are twenty songs.

Last edited by D Wiley on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
D Wiley
D Wiley

http://www.blueridgechristianharmony.jimdo.com

Back to top Go down