Blue Ridge Shape Note Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Piney Grove Methodist Church style of singing

5 posters

Go down

Piney Grove Methodist Church style of singing Empty Piney Grove Methodist Church style of singing

Post by June Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:33 pm

I had the wonderful pleasure of attending a Christian Harmony singing at Piney Grove Methodist Church several years ago. I went with Laura Boosinger and I believe Dan, Scott and maybe Chris W. have been before..
Had I not been sitting next to Laura, I would never have known we were at a Christian Harmony singing. We used the black book, but they pitched their songs very low and sung them at the slowest pace I have ever heard. ( I think even Daddy would have told them to speed it up some!) No one stood up to lead, but different members of the congregation would call out a number and someone would pitch it. I don't believe they sat in a square either. Piney Grove is a black church, which added even more to the phenomenon and I dare say their style is on the verge of extinction. We must press on to preserve the Southern Appalachian style.

June

Back to top Go down

Piney Grove Methodist Church style of singing Empty Re: Piney Grove Methodist Church style of singing

Post by D Wiley Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:28 am

I've heard tell of this. Did any of the singers from that church ever come to a CH singing? I assume they were invited. Does anyone know how to reach them and extend an invitation to Etowah?
D Wiley
D Wiley

http://www.blueridgechristianharmony.jimdo.com

Back to top Go down

Piney Grove Methodist Church style of singing Empty Re: Piney Grove Methodist Church style of singing

Post by Scott Swanton Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:06 am

Is that the Church at Moravian Springs ? I have been if it is. Yes they sing SLOW! and not much a'tall like the music on the page , but you know when I was a child Singing at Etowah was more like that . I remember Volunteers being a tune not on the page ! LOL
Scott Swanton
Scott Swanton

Back to top Go down

Post by June Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:13 pm

I believe it was in Moravian Springs. Laura and I did invite them to come sing in the mountains, but I don't recall anyone ever coming. I wonder if they still sing. It was interesting that we were not invited to call out a number, but we were made most welcome at the dinner afterwards.

June

Back to top Go down

Piney Grove Methodist Church style of singing Empty Piney Grove singing

Post by cmarie Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:17 am

Scott Swanton wrote:Is that the Church at Moravian Springs ? I have been if it is. Yes they sing SLOW! and not much a'tall like the music on the page , but you know when I was a child Singing at Etowah was more like that . I remember Volunteers being a tune not on the page ! LOL
Hi, Everyone,

Mary and I have been to Piney Grove a couple of times recently. The singing continues to be very slow with much ornamentation. Last year the group sat together (not in parts), sang from the black book, pastor led and pitched most lessons. About 20 singers, mostly elderly. Considerable reminiscing between songs. The church is between Boomer and Moravian Falls, NC.

cmarie

Back to top Go down

Post by MB Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Yes, Chris and I went in 2012. Rev. Howell notified me when their singing was so we could go. I have the minutes on christianharmony.org:

http://www.christianharmony.org/harmony/minutes/2012minutes/PineyGrove.html

They have been invited to R'fton, and they have seen the new book (2010). The number of singers has decreased from 2008 when we were there before. They have no new young singers. The old preacher (Rev. Howell's dad) who wanted them to sing shapes was not there in 2012, and I felt shy of asking about him.

But some of the singers remember. The one sitting next to me was delighted to find that we both could sing the shapes. Smile
MB
MB

http://www.christianharmony.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down